Purple Blob has developed a mobility solution called Metis. This solution achieves most of the required characteristics, and the company is now extending the system to adapt it to the COVID-19 situation.
Metis is based on a sensor network that monitors wide areas, reporting the occupation of people in them. Moreover, the system also generates anonymous and unique identifiers of the people within their range, this allows for unique traceability of the movement between monitored zones.
Based on different technologies for both the detection of individuals and communication capabilities, the resulting system is a highly scalable solution, that can cover from malls to big cities.
The system respects the user’s privacy while remaining non-intrusive for the detected individuals, making it perfect for most use case scenarios. Lastly, for the actual COVID-19 situation, in which having information about both crowds and flow of people results in a powerful tool to avoid dangerous situations, Purple Blob is extending the system with thermal cameras. These cameras will detect potential infection threats and link this information with the identifiers that pass though the monitored zone, enabling an analysis of the potential risk to assist pandemic professionals.
Summarizing the solution characteristics:
- Reports both the occupation and flow of people between zones
- Can send these reports via multiple communication methods
- Low-cost, easy-to-use and highly scalable solution
- Includes a visualization and management platform
- Can be configured by the user, allowing for personalized views and alarms
- Includes premade mobility analysis, like flow and heatmaps
- Easily integrable in more complex systems, like IoT platforms